recursive queries fail with high load?

Elias elias at streamyx.com
Thu Mar 1 13:15:55 UTC 2007

Hi Chris,

Do you get the timeouts if you try a 'dig @127.0.0.1 www.websudoku.com' too?
We've encountered a similar instance where lookups against our interface's
IP failed whereas against our own loopback was OK. The problem soon
discovered was due to heavy loading on the machine. If it fails too, then
probably you can try looking at your network (if its saturated or not).

There's also this very useful too found here -
http://dns.measurement-factory.com/tools/dnstop/ which lets you see the top
DNS talkers. Sometimes we do get customers sending hundreds if not thousands
of recursive queries per second to our servers and once we blackhole them
everything goes back to normal.