nsupdate strangeness v 9.2.3 vs. 9.3.x / 9.4.x

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Mar 4 22:05:17 UTC 2007

> Greetings,
>
> The setting behind:
>
> My DNS server runs server software isc-bind with version 9.4.x (the most
> recent version).
>
> My dial up host runs bind v 9.2.3 and the nsupdate program coming with it.
> When trying to use the 9.4.x (or 9.3.x) distribution and the nsupdate
> program coming with it, I am experiencing the following problem for quite a
> while now. When I try to update my zone entry
>
> nsupdate -d -k $KEY
> >server $SERVER
> >zone $ZONE
> >update add @ $TTL2 A $IPADDR
> >send
>
> I allways get the error message
>
> client xy.xy.xy.xy#8346: updating zone 'floppy.org/IN': update failed:
> update RR is outside zone (NOTZONE)
>
> Other update directives work fine, just this one doesn't, BUT !!!
>
> The nsupdate version from the 9.2.3 distribution works perfectly fine, but
> when trying to use the version from 9.4.x, I get the above error message.
>
> Has anybody any clue as to why???

	We needed to fix BIND 8 compatability.  In BIND 8 all names
	were treated as fully qualified.

1556.   [bug]           nsupdate now treats all names as fully qualified.
                        [RT #6427]

	We removed looking at resolv.conf to set a default origin and
	also removed zone setting the origin as a side effect.  One
	could add a command to set the origin explicitly if it was
	needed.

	In the mean time use

		update add $ZONE $TTL2 A $IPADDR

	Mark