About Zone refresh on a very big DNS server.

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Fri Mar 9 14:55:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 12:30:08AM -0800, Wang Penghui wrote:
> > It depends on what data is in the zones. If your data is static
> > e.g. no dynamic dns on the nameserver, then you might look for
> > a nameserver that works with files and needs no reloads.
> >

> We use Bind 9.2.1-16 in RedHat 9. And all the zone files are simply
> text files. And there are not any dynamic contents there. We use our
> own programs to modify the zone file content. Then load the
> modificaton via "/etc/init.d/named reload" to refresh the
> modification.

Aha - then this is easy!  Change your code to used rndc, which
supports reloading a single zone.  Then, when a zone is modified, you
run "rndc reload asdf.com" and only that zone is reloaded.

> I wonder know is there any better method could make the refresh time
> shorter.

Like has been mentioned you could switch to DLZ.  The bind
installation I roll with is DLZ and I'm wishy-washy on it.  It's got
some amazing features, but like another poster said, it has its costs
as well.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us