domain names not resolving

Daniel Kirk dkirk at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 21 05:24:02 UTC 2007

I have a feeling this question is going to have a very obvious answer,
but I have searched hi and low for the last 5 hours and have not found it.

I've got a new server installation, BIND 9.4 on Fedora Core 6.  It loads
fine and says its loaded 39 zones and I cannot find any error messages:
/etc/init.d/named status
number of zones: 39
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
recursive clients: 0/1000
tcp clients: 0/100
server is up and running

However, none of my domain name resolve at all, I cannot connect to
anything except an ip, and any other programs like sendmail don't work
either.

I'm using old config files so they are likely to be the source of the
problem.  eg

 cat /var/named/chroot/var/named/kirkyonline.com
;
; Zone file for kirkyonline.com
;

$TTL 3D
@       IN      SOA     ns0.kirkyonline.com. dkirk.bigpond.net.au. (
                        2007032004
                        8H
                        2H
                        4W
                        1D )
;
                NS      ns0.kirkyonline.com. ; Inet Address of name server
                NS      ns1.kirkyonline.com. ; Inet Address of name server
                MX      10 mail.kirkyonline.com. ; Primary Mail Exchanger
;
localhost       A       207.228.252.47
ns0             A       207.228.252.47
ns1             A       207.228.252.194
www             A       207.228.252.47
mail            A       207.228.252.47

 dig +trace www.kirkyonline.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> +trace www.kirkyonline.com
;; global options:  printcmd

the name servers for the domain registration kirkyonline.com are
ns0.kirkyonline.com and ns1.kirkyonline.com

I've just about reached the end of my tether (no sleep for 30 hours is
hard) so if anyone can help me I'll give you a big kiss.

thanks

Daniel Kirk
Managing Editor
web:  http://www.sportspunter.com