bind selective delegation, is it possible?

Kal Feher kal.feher at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Mar 28 01:47:52 UTC 2007

I feel a little dirty saying this but you could CNAME a wildcard record. A
quick test shows that it appears to work. Please note that I in no way
endorse this solution. A better approach is to improve your load balancing
technology so that it doesn't constrain you so.

The following test worked fine:

  $TTL 1W
  @ IN  SOA bright.star. root.localhost. (
        2007032801
        28800
        14400
        604800
        86400 )
                  IN  NS bright
  *               IN  CNAME bright.star.
  bright.home.    IN  A 192.168.1.6
<snip.... Further RRs below this proved to still work>

"dark ~ # curl star " returns the web page at bright.star

In your case you cname it to another domain that you can happily delegate to
the load balancers.

HTH

--
Kal Feher