Bind can not resolve.

Pawel Rogocz pawel at rogocz.com
Wed Mar 28 16:30:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 05:37:44PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

> > bind9 seem to be unable to resolve if during resolution of an A record a
> > CNAME is returned pointing to a parent domain without the corresponding A
> > record.
> >
> > Example: cname.bind9.expol.us
> >
> > Trying CNAME first makes A resolution work, otherwise I get SERVFAIL.
>
> 	It would help if the authorative servers actually followed
> 	RFC 1034.  The server should be including the A record in
> 	the answer as it serves the parent zone.  If should also be
> 	returning a referral to the parent zone (not the child zone)
> 	if it returns the implicit referral.

Could you point me to the sections of RFC 1034 which back up your two
points ? I was only able to find recipes for recursive nameservers:

5.3.3
         c. if the response shows a CNAME and that is not the
            answer itself, cache the CNAME, change the SNAME to the
            canonical name in the CNAME RR and go to step 1.

In case of cname.bind9.expol.us bind9 for some reason does not restart
the query and we have a problem.

Pawel