Is it possible to forward dns queries if unable to contact a DNS server?

Dawn Connelly dawn.connelly at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:01:28 UTC 2007

You can set up a specific zone to forward to specific servers. Not a great
solution but will work if you have a DNS server you know is able to make the
query:
zone "domain.com" {
        type forward;
        forwarders { 10.10.10.10; 10.10.10.11; };
};
Are you able to do an outbound NAT to a different IP range? Make it look
like your DNS server is coming for a non former bogus IP range. Not sure if
you can make the routing work on your network and whatnot, but that would be
a different way of addresses the problem...and it would make sure that you
don't have to manually create forwarders per domain. That would be time
consuming and not a very effective solution.  The other option would be to
set up a forward only configuration so all queries are forwarded to DNS
servers that you know will get the answers for you.

forward ( only );