nsupdate .jnl files and flushing

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon May 7 23:48:21 UTC 2007

> I was wondering if there is any setting/tweak to get Bind9 to write
> the .jnl file any faster than 'when it gets around to it'...I am sure
> there is some specific time, but it always seems to vary for me.

	UPDATES are task locked.  A UPDATE request does not complete
	until the .jnl file is written.  UPDATEs for a zone are
	processed serially and through put is disk i/o dependent.

> I have noticed if a client is updating bind9 too fast, bind9 will
> accept the updates but never answer with the new IP until I do an
> RNDC FLUSH or restart named...

	Once the UPDATE completes it is available.  "rndc flush" has
	no impact on the authoritative side of named.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org