resolve.conf

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Tue May 15 17:23:47 UTC 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 9:38 AM, James E. Pratt wrote:

> [...]

Come on people.  This is the BIND-USERS list, don't give guesses.
This file can be called anything, but it is trivial to identify
exactly what file is being used by BIND.

Take a look at your "named.conf" file and look for the section that
contains "type hint".  Mine looks like:

	zone "." IN {
	        type hint;
	        file "named.ca";
	};

The "file" specification will identify exactly what the name of the
file is.  In my case, this is "named.ca".

You should also be concerned about exactly where this file will be
found.  It will be located in reference to the directory specified by
the "directory" option.  Again, in my case this is "/var/named".

The file specified can also be in a subdirectory and the "file"
specification will identify this subdirectory also.  So, be
reasonable and include everything specified.

Please note that if your "named" process is running in a chroot
environment, the file will be located referenced to this chroot
directory.  Again, for example, if my "named" process was running in
a chroot environment in "/var/chroot", then the actual file will be
found in "/var/chroot/var/named/named.ca".  This chroot environment
can be specified by the "-t" option  to "named".  It can also be
specified by a chroot wrapper script, so you will have to be able to
figure this out on your system.

So, again people, this is a technical list for the administration and
use of BIND.  It is not specific to any one Unix operating system,
such as Linux.  Nor is it even specific to Unix since there is a
fully functional port of BIND to MS-Windows.

Bill Larson