resolv.conf option for nameserver with specific port number

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 15 20:23:04 UTC 2007

Vishwas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How should the nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf file look like if
> a DNS is NOT running on the default port number (53).

No system resolver I'm aware of allows the use of a non-standard port
number, so your /etc/resolv.conf file should look "normal", i.e. the
"nameserver" entries should point to IP addresses on which resolvers are
listening on port 53. You have the option, of course, of running
separate instances on the same box, listening on different port numbers.
You could even have the port-53 instance forward to the non-port-53
instance....

                     -Kevin