resolv.conf option for nameserver with specific port number

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Sat May 19 07:56:04 UTC 2007

Normall you should be able to tune the port in /etc/services

domain          53/tcp          # Domain Name Server
domain          53/udp          # Domain Name Server

But I have seen it working for other services, but not for dns.

So I have seen (google) the syntax "ip.port" or "ip:port" for
/etc/resolv.conf for Mac and Sun - maybe it was a daydream but
a good one :)

I have to do some "dns in a nutshell" things like

~> check_soa pirates

b-root.maxmv.org has serial number 2007051503
ns1.nsnoc.com has serial number 2007051503
ns7.pirates has serial number 2007051503
ns8.pirates has serial number 2007051503

but some of our nameservers have to use port 3001 for dns :(

Cheers
Peter and Karin

mail: peter at peter-dambier.de
mail: peter at echnaton.arl.pirates