Poisoned DNS?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed May 23 12:21:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 12:23:49PM +0200,
 Ben Brick <brickster52 at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 23 lines which said:

> I'm getting some odd resutls from domains that don't exist.

You did not mention several important details, such as "what's in your
resolv.conf?" You may simply see tricks played by the administrator of
your recursive name server. I cannot reproduce the problem.

> A dig for the root, shows me the following:
>
> # dig . +trace
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> . +trace
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> .                       47092   IN      NS      ns1.catcher.co.uk.

ns1.catcher.co.uk is a wildcard-enabled name server, apparently
managed by a known british domainer, Seb Clark.