DNS-SD and Dynamic Updates

Nathan Merritt gnm at the-merritts.net
Fri Nov 2 18:28:27 UTC 2007

On Oct 30, 2007 6:59 PM, Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

> > Hey everybody -
> > I'm running Bind 9.3.4 (-2etch1) on Debian with kernel version 2.6.18-4.
> > I've been trying to set up DNS-SD on our production servers and have ran
> > into a snag. There are two slave servers, two caches and a master
> > authoritative server. I enabled update-forwarding on the caches and
> slaves
> > to the master, and set up a key based authentication system. When I
> actually
> > try to test things out via nsupdate, I get the following error server
> side:
> >
> > named[3975]: socket.c :1898: unexpected error:
> > named[3975]: internal_accept: fcntl() failed: Too many open files
> > named[3975]: zone bonjour.bowdoin.edu/IN/default : could not forward
> dynamic
> > update to 10.140.226.26#53: unexpected error
> >
> > A quick googling pointed me to another user with a similar unresolved
> > problem.
> >
> > http://readlist.com/lists/isc.org/bind-users/0/4480.html
>
>        No. That is a completely different problem.
>
> > Anyone figure out what was going wrong between then and now?
> >
> > Thanks so much,
> > Nathan Merritt
>
>        You have to many file descriptors open.
>
>        Are you running lots of virtual interfaces on this box?
>        Named uses 2 descriptors per interface (1 UDP and 1 TCP)
>
>        Assuming this is the problem limit the number of descriptors
>        named listens on (see listen-on and listen-on-v6).
>
>        Otherwise you have lots of incoming TCP connections
>        see tcp-clients.
>
>        Otherwise you have lots of simultious zone transfers
>        see transfers-per-ns, transfers-in, transfers-out.

       Mark

The server already has a very high tcp-clients limit. I increased
transfers-per-ns, -in and -out, and I checked up on the system's file
descriptors limit.

$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
1792    0       231786

I'm still seeing the error however, any other ideas as to what might be
giving me problems?

Cheers,
Nathan Merritt

--
At least the war on the environment is going well