Subnetted Reverse DNS - Going crazy

Andrew Hydle ahydle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:57:43 UTC 2007

I have been assigned a /28 ip range and am having some issues setting up
reverse dns. So far I have tried setting up my named.conf two ways:
named.conf:
zone "208-223.130.212.65.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "65.212.130.rev";
        allow-update { none; };
        allow-query { any; };
};

or

zone "208/28.130.212.65.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "65.212.130.rev";
        allow-update { none; };
        allow-query { any; };
};

and I have my db file setup like so:

$TTL    43200
@       IN      SOA     dns2.external.com. mail.external.com.  (
                                      2007110601 ; Serial
                                      1H    ; Refresh
                                      30M   ; Retry
                                      2D    ; Expire
                                      12H )  ; Minimum

        IN      NS      dns2.external.com.
        IN      NS      dns1.external.com.

210     IN      PTR     hosta.com.
220     IN      PTR     hostb.com.

If I do an nslookup I get:

** server can't find 220.130.212.65.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

and Dig gives me the same information showing that the ip is hosted with my
ISP. I am trying to get this working so that my ISP can delegate the domain.

If I set the zone to a class c I can resolve properly so I know it isnt a
formatting issue in by db file but I cannot figure out what I am doing
wrong. Can someone please help?