Subnetted Reverse DNS - Going crazy

aad ali.darab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 23:37:05 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 5:49 PM, Andrew Hydle <ahydle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I cant get verizon to do anything yet because I cannot resolve
> the zone locally. There software does a DNS verification to make sure that
> the zone is configured before they delegate it. But the zone is not working
> at all on our servers so they cannot delegate it.

Take a look at the last example in RFC 2317 ("alternative approach")
and then simply rename your zone in named.conf to
"208.130.212.65.in-addr.arpa" to match the naming convention
UUNET/MCI/VerizonBusiness is looking for (at least based on how they
"used to" do their subnetted reverse a few years ago).

And again, talk to Verizon and verify the expected naming convention,
how they're delegating to you and how they're expecting your server to
respond.

--ali