clients-per-query

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Fri Nov 9 12:34:10 UTC 2007

I've read what's in the ARM about clients-per-query, and think I
understand.
My daily LogWatch digests are showing me the following.

    clients-per-query decreased to 10: 2 Time(s)
    clients-per-query decreased to 11: 2 Time(s)
    clients-per-query decreased to 12: 2 Time(s)
    clients-per-query decreased to 13: 2 Time(s)
    clients-per-query decreased to 14: 2 Time(s)
    clients-per-query increased to 11: 2 Time(s)

I'm interpreting this as indicating some fluctuations about a "DC level"
of about 12.  I wonder whether quite such dynamic tuning is useful and
whether some more damping or hysteresis in the feedback loop would be
harmful.

/Niall