BIND forward to Windows DNS

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 20:27:57 UTC 2007

On Nov 9 2007, Rutger Blom wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We have a BIND server which is authoritative for zone "company.com". After some
>years we implemented Microsoft AD with its own DNS server in its own
>zone "ad.company.com". The Microsoft server is authoritative for
>"ad.company.com"
>
>Now we want clients that have the BIND server as their configured DNS
>server to be able to resolve hosts in the "ad.company.com" zone. I
>thought this was done by configuring a forward zone "ad.company.com" on the BIND
>server, alternatively use the "forwarders" option. However, neither of these methods seem to work.
>
>Is there something I am missing here?

Type forward won't work for a sub-zone of something you are already
authoritative for. I take it that you have not created a proper delegation
for "ad.company.com" from "company.com", nominating the Microsoft server
(really just one?), or you wouldn't have the problem in the first place.
So why not? If it's because the "ad.company.com" zone is meant to be private,
consider using views in BIND.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk