switching query-source address on timeout and exhaustion of available servers

Giuliano Gavazzi dev-isc.org at humph.com
Mon Nov 12 14:00:32 UTC 2007

Hello, on one server I run BIND 9.3.1 as /sbin/named -4 on MacOSX10.3.9.

In the last few days I have seen failures in resolving some domains,
just a couple I believe. This failure happens only when the query-
source is changed from one line (ADSL) to another (HDSL) on a
different provider.
I have traced the problem to a routing problem between the HDSL
provider network and the secondaries of the domain(s) in question.
This is what happens: the first name server queried gives a SERVFAIL
(should not!) and then the secondaries are interrogated, but they are
reachable only from the ADSL line. So when originated from the HDSL
line instead, the query times out.

I hope this is not a FAQ: it would be interesting to be able to switch
query-source after a timeout or error has been hit on all nameservers
so that the these temporary (hopefully) network problems can be
circumvented (at least for DNS...).

Thanks

Giuliano