Change nameserver's ips

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 20 04:47:14 UTC 2007

> Hi all,
> I need to move some domains from two old nameserver to new nameservers
> with different ip addresses; I would like to do this without changing
> delegation... is it possible?
>
> Say ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com are authoritative for
> mydomain.com, I need to change ip addresses for ns3.mydomain.com and
> ns4.mydomain.com while ns1 and ns2 remains unchanged
>
> If I copy all zone files to new servers and edit ns3 and ns4 A records
> in mydomain.com zone file will somethig go wrong?

	If you want real help supply the real zone name.  The answer
	is dependent on the relationship of the nameservers to the
	zone.

	The NS RRset in the parent and child zones needs to remain
	in sync.  Any glue records in the parent also need to remain
	in sync.

RFC 1034

As the last installation step, the delegation NS RRs and glue RRs
necessary to make the delegation effective should be added to the parent
zone.  The administrators of both zones should insure that the NS and
glue RRs which mark both sides of the cut are consistent and remain so.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org