unable to get a nslookup on windows client

Agnello George agnello.dsouza at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:56:14 UTC 2007

On 11/20/07, Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote:

> It sounds like perhaps the Windows machine's local resolving name
> server doesn't know how to look up the reverse zone that contains the
> PTR record for 192.168.0.244. Maybe a forward or stub zone definition
> is missing?

sorry for the late response ... i have solved my problem ... : it was really
a silly issue that i did not notice.

In my named.conf the file started withthe following  :
options {
        listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; };    =====> i removed this line
        listen-on-v6 port 53 { ::1; };
        directory       "/var/named";
        dump-file       "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        memstatistics-file "/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";
        allow-query     { localhost; };      =======> i removed this line
        recursion yes;
};

then i saved te file and restarted named and was able to telnet my machine
on port 53 ( which i was not able to do before )

then i tried to nslookup for my domain it worked !!!

:)