How to define views that differ only minimally?

Alan Clegg Alan_Clegg at isc.org
Mon Nov 26 23:15:11 UTC 2007

David Birdsong wrote:
> Could you share why you despise this?  I inherited a site that has
> multiple views.  Some views hold zones that contain a set of hosts and
> then include the hosts from zones from other views just like Gabriel
> suggested.

It's not views that I despise.. it's the overly liberal use of includes.

This might be a case where they would work, but they complicate the
human-factor, and in my opinion, lead to incomprehensible configurations.

As I posted in my first response in this thread, I'd do my best to move
zones that actually need views to a different, views-enabled server and
keep the majority of the configuration in a single view and as simple as
possible.  This also simplifies the correct transfer of zones to servers
that are authoritative for "inside" and/or "outside" views.

Since the first poster was asking about defining views for multiple
clients, creating not just "internal" and "external", but "internal,
customer one", "external, customer one", "internal, customer two",
"external, customer two", "internal, customer three", ..etc.. followed
by "all the rest" views, I can see their configuration becoming a
smoking nightmare very quickly.

You must consider, however, that I have trouble parsing the sentence
above (that I wrote), much less the config file that would result from
multiple views with multiple includes per view per customer.  YMMV.

AlanC
--
Alan Clegg  --  Support Engineer
  Internet Systems Consortium