Vista machines DOSing our bind servers

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 19:13:38 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have been seeing a lot of identical bogus queries from the same clients.
Looks like we are seeing that isatap traffic, too:

# snoop -r port 53 | grep isatap

DNS C isatap.Belkin. Internet Addr ?
DNS C isatap.Belkin. Internet Addr ?
DNS C isatap.Belkin. Internet Addr ?
DNS C isatap.Belkin. Internet Addr ?
DNS C isatap.WorkGroup. Internet Addr ?
DNS C isatap.WorkGroup. Internet Addr ?
DNS C isatap.a.domain.suffix.com. Internet Addr ?
DNS C isatap. Internet Addr ?
^C

Interesting.

It seems that tuning a few "clients-per-query" options helps to mitigate the flood of idential queries.
For example,

clients-per-query 10 ;  (default is 10)
max-clients-per-query 50 ; (default is 100)

See the Bv9ARM.pdf at isc.org for more about these options and what may work best for you.

Hope this helps -- Chris