Blackhole option statement in BIND

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 30 03:58:49 UTC 2007

That would violate RFC. A name server that does not receive any
response at all from a remote server should consider that remote
server to be offline. This would affect the running RTT value for that
remote server.

The blackhole statement should be used for subnets that you just plain
never want to talk to at all.

Never consider any behavior of tinydns to be necessary correct
according to RFC. It simply works most of the time, and for what it
does, it (apparently) works well. (I've never actually used it - the
setup procedure offends my sensibilities.) But by my observation,
Prof. Bernstein has had an adversarial relationship with the standards
and their maintainers.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice
Address: Noatun 17, IS-105, Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone:   +354 412 1500
Email:   cbuxton at menandmice.com
www.menandmice.com

Men & Mice
We bring control and flexibility to network management

This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information only intended for the person or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and all its attachment.