BIND 9.4.x empty zones, again

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 30 17:57:32 UTC 2007

OK, 9.4.2 coming out has renewed my interest in these.

I have been trying to make zones "just like" an automatic empty zone
by using a zone file db.null containing

; Empty zone just like those generated internally by BIND 9.4
@ 86400 SOA  @ . 0 28800 7200 604800 86400
@     0 NS   @

But when I use this, e.g. with

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" { type master; file "db.null"; }

then I get an error

named: zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: NS '0.in-addr.arpa' has no address records (A or AAAA)

when the zone is loaded. Well, of course, but automatic empty zones seem
to be immune from this check! (Which, incidentally, "check-integrity no;"
at either zone or options level seems not to suppress - is that a bug?)

I am considering specifying "localhost." as the SOA.mname and NS rdata and
specifying

empty-server "localhost";

to make the automatic empty zones look the same. Opinions?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk