REFUSED but no log entry

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Oct 4 07:44:27 UTC 2007

> I'm running bind-9.3.3 on CentOS5 and trying to figure out why I can't
> transfer my zone to an outside slave. All queries seem to be met with a
> REFUSED response, but I see nothing reported in *any* of the log
> categories (most running at debug level, some at info), nor do I see
> anything in /var/log/messages. Where should I be looking for diagnostic
> info to track this down?
>
> I suspect it might be a view permission issue. I have 3 views configured
> per CentOS5 "standard", like this:

	I seriously doubt that this is the 'CentOS5 "standard"'
	because what you have below is illogical.  I suggest that
	you actually read the description of match-destinations,
	then ask youself if any packet will ever match

		match-destinations      { !localnets; !localhost; };

	unless you are actually intercepting packets in a firewall and
	processing them locally.

	You get REFUSED because the queries don't match any view.

	Remove the match-destinations clauses they really are not needed.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org