memory leak or other problem

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Thu Oct 4 09:26:47 UTC 2007

At Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:55:05 +0200,
Adam Tkac <atkac at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Any updates on this issue?  One of our DNS stopped responding and Bind
> > > needed to be restarted to get it answering again.
> >
> > I'd first suggest migrating to BIND 9.4 or later, because prior
> > versions rely on libc malloc (by default), which can perform very
> > poorly depending on the library implementation details.
>
> I don't think so. malloc() implementation will be problem on Solaris
> box but SLES (I think it uses glibc implementation) should not have
> any problems.

I was probably not clear enough, but I didn't intend to insist libc
malloc performs poorly for all systems by saying "can perform poorly"
and "depending on the details".  I tried to make a general
recommendation independent of the system since different OSes have
been mentioned in this thread (at least including FreeBSD, some
versions of its libc malloc actually performs poorly).

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp