delegation of subdomains

Markus Boehmer boehmerm at gmx.net
Wed Oct 10 09:20:28 UTC 2007

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 06:49:14AM -0700, Markus Boehmer wrote:
> > 1. Domain is "def.gh" - DNS-server is somewhere outside the company
> > lan with internet access and is reachable from the internet
> >
> > 2. Domain to delegate is abc.def.gh - DNS-server is inside the company
> > lan, has internet access, but is not reachable from the internet.
> >

> Having the delegation visible worldwide would be a lame delegation for
> clients not on the local network, which I consider a config error.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Hi Marc and everyone else,

here's another problem.

I would prefer the "lame method" for various reasons, being
here in our company network.

The "outside" Server ist nsr1.4smr.net, authoritative for the zone "schaefer-shop.de".

This one should now delegate "mw.schaefer-shop.de" to our internal Server with the IP-Address 10.19.155.90, who is already up and running, so that other nameservers in our company network can find our subdomain mw.schaefer-shop.de.

The admin responsible for ns1.4smr.net now told me, that he can't delegate, because our internal nameserver can not be reached or reverse looked up.

Is this possible? I thought, that entries in the schaefer-shop.de. zone
files like:
mw    86400    IN    NS    webhost.mw.schaefer-shop.de.
webhost.mw.schaefer-shop.de.  86400  IN  A  10.19.155.90

would be enough.

Have I understood this wrong? I read DNS & Bind from O'Reilly and I think,
that the above mentioned would be enough.

With this configuration, computers within our company network should be able to find our zone and computers outside the company network have simply a weird looking dns record.

Regards
Markus

--
Per humanitatem ad pacem