Overload Denial of Service attack

The Doctor doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
Wed Oct 10 12:33:56 UTC 2007

We have a real one.

Running the RC, it got overloaded with so many
requests that in essence named dies.

I tried to do a gdb but the gdb seg faulted.

How can I prevent overload, i.e. regulating the number of
requests on DNS from outside the LAN?

Here is a snippnet of the named.conf :

//Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as needed:
key "rndc-key" {
      algorithm hmac-md5;
      secret "7ZbGK94NdSa2WACxx72W1w==";
};

controls {
      inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
              allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
};

// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        dump-file "/etc/named/named.dump";
        max-ncache-ttl 86400;
        zone-statistics yes;
        allow-transfer {
                        <backups>
                        };
        allow-notify {
                        <backups>
                        };
        also-notify {
                        <backups on port 53>
                        };
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
	          query-source address * port 53;
         version "no";
         listen-on {primary dns; localhost; };
         rrset-order {
                class ANY type ANY name "*" order fixed;
         };

};

I would love to kick these DoSSer in the repos so they cannot reproduce.

I wonder if my named and its core would be helpful.

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doctor at nl2k.ab.ca	Ici doctor at nl2k.ab.ca
God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
Voting Canadians vote anyone but Harper Cronies!!

believed to be clean.