bind not talking to Active Directory (1165 Event ID)

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Oct 12 20:05:21 UTC 2007

The "underscored subdomain" approach is only supposed to accommodate the
SRV records that are registered automatically at AD Domain Controller
promotion time (and periodically thereafter).

In contrast, when you invoke "ipconfig /registerdns" you're telling
*Windows* (not Active Directory) to register the IP address of the local
box in the DNS server. It's trying to register <windows server
name>.dev.example.com in (presumably) the dev.example.com zone which a)
is probably not set for Dynamic Update at all, and b) even if you had an
allow-update for the zone, wouldn't be able to accept a GSS-TSIG-signed
update, which would be what is generated, by default, from a Windows
box. It's also possible that the Dynamic Update for the reverse record
is what's failing.

If you're not seeing SRV records in your subdomains, then that's a
_different_ problem from the ipconfig /registerdns (non-)problem, and
I'd start by reading the AD documentation to see how you can "goose"
that SRV-record-registration process (I'm not familiar enough with AD to
know how to do that). Look in the logs on the BIND side as well.

                     - Kevin