BIND 9.4.1-P1: "allow-query" and "allow-query-cache"

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 20 19:38:20 UTC 2007

I've recently gotten around to upgrading from BIND 8.3.7-REL to BIND
9.4.1-P1.  I would like to have a better understanding of the "allow-
query" and "allow-query-cache" options.

Assuming that I have "allow-query { any; };" and "allow-query-cache
{ none; };" set in the global options for a name server, what
information can an external system access on the name server?

I presume that the external system can access information regarding
any zone defined as "type master;".  Does this hold true when there
are no NS resource records identifying the name server as
authoritative for the zone?

Can external systems access information regarding any zone defined as
"type slave;"?  Again, does this hold true when there are no NS
resource records identifying the name server as authoritative for the
zone?

What information is accessible for zones defined as "type stub;" and
"type forward;"?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com