BIND 9.4.2 Beta 1 is now available.

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Sat Sep 1 06:36:57 UTC 2007

Stephen John Smoogen skrev, on 31-08-2007 22:01:

[...]

>>> I tried the command shown below, with the results shown. At the end, a
>>> new version of BIND is not compiled, let alone installed. I had the
>>> same results with the 9.4.2b1 SRPM referenced above.

> I would recommend to use rpmdevtools versus doing this as root. There
> have been bad spec files which have removed /bin or something when
> they got out of their build environment..

I would agree entirely, *never*, *never* build any software (even bind
;) ) as root, always as a mortal user.

>> You have to build it by rpmbuild. On Red Hat based systems you will do:
>> $ rpm -i <name>.src.rpm (you do it as I see upper)
>> $ cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>> $ rpmbuild -ba <name>.spec

But this is taking things to unnecessary lengths and making them
unnecessarily complicated. With rpmdevtools yum on FC6 also installs
fakeroot as a dependency (both are from FC6 extras), a 'man fakeroot'
explains that the whole concept was developed on the basis of building
Debian debs, where certain build commands have to be given by root. This
is not necessary to build rpms.

I build rpms from source as myself (mortal). In my home directory I have
a small text file: .rpmmacros, which gives details to be used when
building rpms. In this file I have: %_topdir    /home/tonni/rpm
In %_topdir I have a structure:

drwxr-xr-x   8 tonni tonni  4096 Jul 14 10:40 .
drwx------ 121 tonni tonni 12288 Sep  1 07:34 ..
drwxr-xr-x  15 tonni tonni  4096 Sep  1 07:30 BUILD
drwxr-xr-x   6 tonni tonni  4096 Jun 11 01:18 RPMS
drwxr-xr-x   2 tonni tonni 28672 Sep  1 07:30 SOURCES
drwxr-xr-x   3 tonni tonni  4096 Sep  1 07:34 SPECS
drwxr-xr-x   2 tonni tonni 12288 Sep  1 07:31 SRPMS

All the work happens in this structure, sudo installs the rpms that are
built.

There's more in .rpmmacros that just %_topdir, but most of it's not
necessary. To find out what, Google ;)

[...]

Best,

--Tonni