no more recursive clients: quota reached

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Tue Sep 11 09:08:37 UTC 2007

"no more recursive clients: quota reached".  In the past, we've
been able to match these to connectivity problems for an outlying
site with its own local name servers which has become isolated
from the "greater Internet".
A recent incident doesn't fit this explanation.  I'm wondering
how best to determine whether the configured quota needs to be
adjusted.

If anyone has a better idea than periodically dumping stats
and tracking the value tagged 'recursion' there, I'ld appreciate
the hint.

I've looked (perhaps not hard enough) for an MRTG-compatible
script to do what's needed, and not found one.  If anyone is
interested in the one I expect to write soon, I'll be glad to
share it.