Best GUI tool for managing BIND 9.x

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 02:43:30 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Bill Larson <wllarso at swcp.com> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:16 PM, Chris Buxton wrote:
>
> > Men & Mice offers a product that handles DNS and DHCP management.
> > Support for ISC DHCP will be available in a few months. If you're
> > interested, please feel free to contact me off-list, or visit our
> > website.
> >
> > <http://menandmice.com/>
> >
> > Chris Buxton
> > Men & Mice
>
> And, it is the BEST GUI tool for managing BIND.  The web based tools
> are nice, but not as good as Mice & Men.

I have to agree for large sites it is wonderful. For 1 zone of 50 ips
with 2 admins... it might be overkill. To be honest for a zone that
small it is better to train the people to do the edits by hand. I have
found that it trains them then to know what the GUI did wrong when you
put a GUI in later.

I personally do not like webmin. I have cleaned up too many security
incidents because of it.. it is usually because people forget to
update it or turn on something that isnt standard... which can happen
with any software... but it has left a bad taste in my mouth :).