Best GUI tool for managing BIND 9.x

Ryan McCain Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us
Wed Sep 12 19:58:55 UTC 2007

We don't need dynamic zones.  I have no idea how the .jnl file got out of sync w/ the zone file then considering 'allow-update' isn't anywhere in our named.conf files.  I'll have to dig around more on that.

Knowing this can I manually update the zone files while named is running? I was under the impression I had to freeze it beforehand. Apparently that is completely wrong.

>>> Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> 09/12/07 2:45 PM >>>
If you're using 'rndc freeze zone.name' before editing the zone file,
and 'rndc thaw zone.name' afterward, that means you're using a
dynamic zone. In which case, you have the following options for
making changes to the zone:

1. Freeze and thaw the zone as you have been doing.
2. Make the zone static (remove the allow-update statement from
inside the zone statement).
3. Use nsupdate to make any changes. You might develop a script-based
system of tools to make this a little easier.
4. Use a GUI that handles this gracefully. (Again, my company makes a
product of this type. We do have a small business edition.)

The problem with the 'freeze and thaw' method (method 1 above) is,
you're effectively making the zone static temporarily while you write
out the zone. So if you have a reason for the zone to be dynamic,
during the editing window your server is rejecting updates. If this
is not a problem, then you probably don't need a dynamic zone, and
could then go with method 2 above. Method 1 should normally not be
considered standard operating procedure.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice