Problems with our migration from MS to BIND this weekend

Ryan McCain Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us
Tue Sep 25 04:06:33 UTC 2007

Done and that part is working like a charm now.

>>> Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> 09/24/07 5:56 PM >>>

> BIND 9.2.x and earlier did not perform the same name syntax checks
> that later versions of BIND 8 did. Thus, many people assumed this was
> by design, and that BIND 9 no longer minded seeing underscores in
> records.
>
> BIND 9.3 and later does a name syntax check and will (by default)
> refuse a zone containing underscores. (Since the underscore is now a
> standard character for a few record types, you might think ISC would
> have added them to the allowed list by now.)

	Named checks the syntax of fields or parts of fields in the
	DNS that correspond to HOSTNAMES or MAIL DOMAINS.

	It does NOT and NEVER has blindly rejected domain names with
	underscores in them.

	That being said there is at least one A record in the active
	directory namespace so the checks should be turned off for
	that name.  The is usually done my splitting the AD namespace
	into seperate zones and setting "check-names ignore;" on
	these zones.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org