Resolver timeouts, EDNS and networking

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Sep 27 23:20:09 UTC 2007

If it were me, I would start by disabling EDNS0. This is often the
cause of problems such as this. You can try setting the buffer size
down to 512 bytes, but if that doesn't solve it, turn EDNS off entirely.

If that solves it, then probably the forwarders are the problem. Ask
your ISP about this; they may be using some kind of security software
that is not able to handle EDNS0.

There will always be some timeouts. That's just the nature of the
Internet today. But these should not result from a large percentage
of your server's resolving attempts.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice