Configuring BIND With Multiple Domains

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Sep 27 22:55:40 UTC 2007

Jim Carlock wrote:
> What about for the resolv.conf file?
>
> I've got:
>
> <snip file="resolv.conf">
>
> search example.org example.com example.net
> domain example.org example.com example.net
> nameserver 67.8.106.162
> nameserver 65.32.1.81
> nameserver 65.32.1.80
>
> </snip>
>
> Is this going to work? I'm reading that only one domain
> name gets placed after the "domain" keyword.

Correct, your "domain" there is superfluous, only "search" will get used.

But, searchlists are evil. Why would you want to use them in the first
place? Define your main domain as "domain", everything else uses an
FQDN. Don't let your users get hooked on shortnames or you (and/or your
successor(s)) will pay the price for it down the road.

..

.