Number of CPUs detected by Bind 9.4.2 on 4 CPU system running RedHat es 4.

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Apr 1 15:46:26 UTC 2008

My point is that you CAN change SCSI simply by echoing things into one
of the adapter instances under /proc/scsi in Linux - I've done it many
times.  That isn't the only thing that can be echoed into /proc to
change things - just the first one that comes to mind.  By mounting
/proc in your chroot environment without doing it in read only mode
you've opened the door to anything that could be done in the real /proc.

Obviously permissions, users etc... in chroot can limit this for the
script kiddies but again the point in chroot is to contain damage in the
even the chroot environment IS compromised.   Allowing access to key
areas of the base operating system such as /proc would seem to
invalidate that containment ideal.