DHCP and DDNS

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Wed Apr 2 02:30:05 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:19:31 -0500
> From: Kevin Darcy <kcd at chrysler.com>
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: Re: DHCP and DDNS
>
> X O R wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was trying to setup DHCP server to update connected clients into
> > BIND9. Its working now. The problem is that I have few hosts with
> > static ip address defined using fixed-address option in dhcpd.conf.
> > So my question is how can I make BIND9 add 'fixed-address' hosts to
> > dhcp.leases? Looks like this is the only way to make BIND9 remove
> > addresses from the zones file on DHCPRELEASE.

One way to do this "properly" is to "reserve" the addresses via
assignments in the DHCP configuration.  This is done by taking the MAC
address and "assigning" is to an IP address.

You get the flexibility of DHCP with the stability of a fixed address.

> Even if you could coax your DHCP subsystem into generating these
Dynamic
> Updates, why would you constantly delete and re-add the same
> name/address associations? Seems like you're making your DNS
> infrastructure perform work for little or no benefit.
>
> - Kevin

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 9B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."