Any way to query/determine all domains for which a particular server is authoritative?

Paul Vixie Paul_Vixie at isc.org
Sat Apr 5 05:04:46 UTC 2008

"Eric B." <ebenze at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is a "bind" question as such, or maybe another utility
> (dig maybe?) if at all possible.
>
> Is there anyway to query a DNS server in such a way that it produces a list
> of all the domains for which it is authoritative?

we've thought of offering this as a .BIND subdomain, similar to VERSION.BIND
but in this case it would be a zone full of SOA's showing the list of loaded
zones, possibly with a NULL RR for the ones that are supposed to be loaded
but which are currently lame.  the trouble is, VERSION.BIND got a whole lot
of people angry, information leaks, domain poisoning, yadda, yadda, etc.  if
there were an outpouring of support here for

	dig @server zones.bind axfr

then ISC might feel that it was safe to implement such a thing.

> I'm trying to set up a slave configuration of a DNS server, but everytime I
> add a domain to the primary server, I find that I have to manually update
> the config on the slave server as well to reflect the new domain as well.
> Is there anyway I can set up my Bind slave server as a "mirror" of the
> master server?
>
> The Master is running a Win2K implementation of DNS, if that makes any
> difference.

it's not supposed to be required that all servers for a zone (or group of
zones) run the same software.  it's possible, though, that microsoft AD has
a feature that will do what you want, if the slave is also win2k and if both
are in the same windows domain.

in this thread...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dns.bind/browse_thread/thread/2b64c3630b53f938/4c0630b28862f90b

...someone mentioned "vixie metazones" which i never got around to releasing.
but here's what one looks like.  this is a live metazone used to synchronize
my home (master) server with my colo (slave) server.  i've shared the fragile
and not very well documented perl scripts that run on the slave server with
several folks, and i know that i'm not the only one using this in production,
but i lack the ambition to clean up the software and generally release it.

$ORIGIN fh-sa.mz.vix.com.
$TTL 3600
@               SOA     ns.lah1.vix.com. hostmaster.vix.com. (
                                        2007082400      ; serial
                                        3600            ; refresh
                                        1800            ; retry
                                        604800          ; expiry
                                        42 )            ; minimum (version)
;
                NS      ns.lah1.vix.com.
                NS      ns.sql1.vix.com.
;
; RRtype overloading
;
;       RT is used for lists of nameserver names (masters, also-notify) since
;       it has an MX-like priority field and we want to be able to define the
;       fetch-order in some cases.
;
;       PTR is used for the zone markers.  has to point to real domain, just
;       as a sanity check.  they have to be under a "zones" subdomain.
;
;       A and AAAA mean what they always mean, but are local to this zone.
;       they have to be under a "servers" subdomain.
;
;       MG is used for referring to TSIG keys, which are exchange outofband.
;
masters         RT      10 ns-lah1.servers
;allow-transfer MG      fh-sa.tsig.vix.com.
;               MG      ns-ext.
also-notify     RT      10 ns-ext.servers
;
ns-lah1.servers A       204.152.188.234
;               AAAA    2001:4f8:2::9
ns-ext.servers  A       204.152.184.64