type forward instead of "type hint"

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Apr 8 22:33:04 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>  > In article <ftgi6t$2oea$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  >
>  >  "Pedro Espinoza" <raindoctor at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > I tried it; it worked like charm.
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  How is it different from just using the global "forwarders" and "forward
>  >  only" options?
>
>  Well, this server is authoritative name server for a couple of sub
>  domains. Hence, global forwarders is not option, as we often change
>  the records in our domains. We just want to forward all other queries
>  to forwarders, except for the domains we are authoritative.

	You are confused about how forwarders work.

	Forwarders *never* override local content.  They *just*
	change where queries that recurse are sent to.

	The nameserver looks in local zones (master/slave) for the
	answer and if found that is returned.  The cache is then
	examined and if the answer is found there then that is
	returned.  If "rd" was set then the query recurses and if
	forwarders are set they are used instead of the normal
	nameservers to get the answer.  If "rd" is not set then
	a referral is returned.

	allow-query / allow-query-cache / allow-recusion / recursion
	also impact on the above description.

	options {
		forwarders { .... };
		forward <value>;
	};

	and

	zone "." {
		forwarders { .... };
		forward <value>;
	};

	are IDENTICAL as far as named is concerned.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org