Cannot resolve a specific domain

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Apr 11 14:54:37 UTC 2008

Actually, named should be trying the second when the first fails.

dns.apexshipping.com.tw is refusing to answer this query. It's not
that it's necessarily nonauthoritative for the zone - we can't tell -
it's that it's sending back a refusal. However, regardless of the
error message, when receiving a non-answer like this, your name server
should then fall back to querying the other available server as
indicated by the delegation.

My guess is that you're simply seeing excessive network latency
between your server and the two servers in Taiwan.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice

On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:16 AM, David E. Meier wrote:
>> David E. Meier wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I got a complaint from a client of mine not being able to mail to a
>>> certain domain (apexshipping.com.tw). Otherwise I am not aware of
>>> any
>>> resolving problems of my DNS.
>>>
>>> First thing, I downloaded the current named.root file and restarted
>>> named.
>>> Then I ran:
>>>
>>> $ dig apexshipping.com.tw +trace
>>>
>>> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> apexshipping.com.tw +trace
>>> ;; global options:  printcmd
>>> :
>>> ;; Received 488 bytes from 193.17.199.10#53(193.17.199.10) in 5 ms
>>> :
>>> ;; Received 423 bytes from 192.203.230.10#53(E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)
>>> in 161
>>> ms
>>> :
>>> ;; Received 356 bytes from 61.220.48.1#53(C.DNS.tw) in 291 ms
>>>
>>> apexshipping.com.tw.    86400   IN      NS
>>> dns.apexshipping.com.tw.