Newbie question again

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Apr 16 01:56:49 UTC 2008

Political Gateway wrote:
> Just to go over this, anyone want to elaborate....
>

> Linux OS.
> Webserver
> Redhat
> Bind9
> Both nameservers on the same server as the sites.
>
> /Etc/hosts list the local server

Not really DNS-related, more Operating System-related.

/etc/hosts on many boxes is used exclusively on system startup to
configure the local network interfaces, before DNS resolution is even
possible.
> /etc/resovle list the nameservers (in this case they are both on the same
> server)

/etc/resolv.conf I think you mean.

This lists the resolvers that the local device should use for DNS-based
name resolution.

Not sure what you mean by "both on the same server". The reason for
putting multiple addresses in /etc/resolv.conf is for *redundancy*. If
they're both on the same server, doesn't that defeat redundancy?
> Named.conf each website will have one authorative and one nonauthorative
> nameserver listed and one for the resolve address
>
> Zone files - one zone file for each site and for the resolve address
>
> Named.root/ca not needed
>
> Ta da ?

OK, now you've lost me. I'd love to help you, but I have no clue what
you're trying to do. Some sort of load-balancing scheme perhaps?

"The resolve address"? I have no idea what you mean by that.

Why would you "list" a non-authoritative nameserver in named.conf unless
it was one of your forwarders, and if it's a forwarder why wouldn't you
just say so? "List"ing non-authoritative nameservers in the "masters"
clause of slave or stub zones would be pointless.

The hints file is not needed if you're on the Internet and are satisfied
with the compiled-in root-zone defaults. If you're on an internal
network with its own internal root zone then you either need a hints
file or to make other arrangements (e.g. root-zone slave) for obtaining
root-zone information.