Sharing authority without creating a subdomain

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Apr 17 19:57:20 UTC 2008

That depends on what trust relationship exists between administrators
and servers. For example, you could put an $INCLUDE statement into
your domain.com zone, pointing to a file managed by the other
administrator. You can use file permissions to control access.

If the other administrator does not have direct access to your server,
perhaps the file to be included could be copied across by rsync or
scp, evaluated by a script on your end (looking for records not meant
to be managed by this administrator), and then copied into place over
the previous version.

If the $INCLUDE idea doesn't work for you, I think you're going to be
limited to multiple delegations of individual names over to the other
servers. (By the way: In your example data, you used underscores in
the name server names. That is not going to work in the real world,
where name server names have to abide by the rules for hostnames,
meaning you can use letters, numbers, and hyphens.)

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice