Wits end

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Fri Apr 18 00:44:22 UTC 2008

Bob,

There are a number of people trying to assist you, but debugging is a
step by step process, and it is important that you give precise
answers to the questions you are being asked. Jeremy asked you a
number of pointed questions - the same ones that I would ask you. Go
back, and answer those. From there we will be able to walk you through.

You do bring up an interesting point here, though. Are you implying
by your last post that there was no named.conf file to begin with? Is
there any chance that the file had a different name (something like
caching-namesserver.conf)? On some distros, not all of the default
configuration files are created by default. There are a number of
ways to generate them, if they were not there. For instance, if this
is the case, you could do the following:

yum install bind bind-libs bind-utils system-config-bind

(Do not install bind-chroot, yet, or just 'yum remove bind-chroot',
if it is already installed, but...

NOTE! This step will delete any of your configuration attempts to the
named.conf you've been working on,

so back it up if you want to reference it later, with 'mv /var/named/
chroot/etc/named.conf /var/named/named.save)

Run system-config-bind, and exit without creating any settings, which
successfully creates the

standard conf and zone files.

If running a server with no access to GUI capabilites, then, instead:

mv /etc/named.conf /etc/named.orig

cd /usr/share/system-config-bind/profiles/default

cp -p named.conf /etc/

chmod 640 /etc/named.conf

cp ./named/* /var/named/

chmod 640 /var/named/named*

chmod 640 /var/named/local*

vim /etc/named.conf (change named.root to named.ca, or 'mv named.ca
named.root')

yum install bind-chroot (copies all of the configured files to the
jailed environment)

Hope this helps, but, if not applicable to you, then go back to
Jeremy's questions and start again. This, for the record, is a game
where only the patient players win!

Steven Stromer