Bind recursion

Ghworg at gmail.com Ghworg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 23:57:09 UTC 2008

I've tried to find an answer to this, but I doesn't seem to be
anywhere. Basically, I'm setting up two views - internal and external.
Internal is for my internal clients, with full zone views, and
recursion on. External, is for Internet users, has only my external
hosts, with no recursion. I have one small problem....In one of my
zones, I have a subdomain that is delegated out to a load balancer
that I have on site. Here is an example....

zone.com - ns1 handles
lb.zone.com - load balancer handles

So, a query for server1.lb.zone.com, would go to ns1, then get
delegated to the load balancer, but this does not work unless I turn
on recursion. I've tried forwarders, and creating master zones with
the load balancer NS records, and a couple of other things. Nothing
seems to work. If I point an external machine to ns1, it always fails,
without recursion.

Is there any way get get this scenario to work, without allowing
recursion on the outside?