Name based hosts and bind

Jeff Reasoner jeff.reasoner at mail.hccanet.org
Wed Apr 23 17:56:29 UTC 2008

Unless it's a mail server you're trying to set up the existence of or
even data in PTR records generally doesn't matter. You don't need PTR
records for Apache virtual hosts, possibly just for the host itself.

Come to think of it, even if your DNS server was also mail server and
running httpd with namevirtualservers in it's config, you'd still still
only need a valid PTR for the domain MX to get most of the world to
accept your mail.

BTW, you do need to have the IP address block delegated to you before
the world will even query your server for the PTR records.

--
Jeff Reasoner
HCCA