Name based hosts and bind

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 25 02:06:31 UTC 2008

In article <fup0ab$jpu$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Bob Hoffman" <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:

> Okay, I will try to be more diligent.
>
> I have a theoretical website that is ipbased. I add another theoretical
> website that uses the same ip number, this is what is called 'name based'.
>
> Two websites, the ip-based www.mysite.com and the name based
> www.mysitename.com. They both use the same ip address and in the named.conf
> a master is made for each and a zone file is added to the var/named folder.
>
> However, an addr.arpa cannot be made for each since they use the same exact
> ip address.
>
> Therefore, the addr.arps file for this ip address will return only one PTR
> record.
> 	IN	PTR	mysite.com
>
> And not mention the other one, mysitename.com

No problem.  Web sites don't care about PTR records.  Name based virtual
hosts use the HTTP Host: request-header to determine which one is being
accessed.

> The mention of mx records was perhaps a general term, let me rephrase. Each
> of these theoretical websites HAS an MX record because they each have their
> OWN mail server. And since mail is sent out from mail.mysitename.com to a
> stringent aol, and aol looks up to find my PTR for mysitename.com to match
> my ip, they get nysite.com and bounce the mail back.

Assuming you're correct that AOL requires that the HELO name match the
PTR record (I'm not sure this is true, because I think there are many
legitimate mail servers that don't do this), both mail servers should
send "HELO mysite.com", regardless of the web site's name, to make them
happy.  Most other mail servers don't care.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA