Problems Configuring Bind on Windows Server 2003

Alun alun65 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:09:17 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

I have a Windows 2003 Virtual Private Server and I'm trying to
configure it with a BIND DNS Server so my web hosts can point a domain
name to it.  I've installed BIND9.4.2 on the server using some good
instructions I found here:

http://alex.charrett.com/technical/bind-on-windows.html

I've followed all the instructions of the guide, and have configured
and started BIND server service on the box.

I think all the configuration went well and the file named.conf (I
hope) is OK, but there was a single instruction from the above guide I
had difficulty understanding and wasn't able to complete when editing
the db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt file, the instruction was in the
section "Configure your zone", the instruction was as follows:

>>Substitute nameserver-hostname for the hostname of your nameserver.

What follows is the entire contents of db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt
as it currently stands:

*** START FILE db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt *****

$TTL 6h
@	IN SOA	your-nameserver.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.
hostmaster.greatScottsRobin.co.uk. (
			2008042301
			10800
			3600
			604800
			86400 )

@		NS	your-nameserver.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.

your-nameserver	IN A	195.216.193.223

*** END FILE db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt *****

I think the instruction is to replace the reference 'your-nameserver'
in the file but I'm not sure what the hostname of the nameserver is?

My Web Host company tells me that we need to point a domain name at
the name server:

ns4.ukhosts4u.com

And I need to provide them with the name servers for them to make this
change.

My Questions
-------------------

1.) Could this be the name server (ns1.ukhost4u.com) be what I need to
replace the reference 'your-nameserver' in the zone file (above)?

2.) Also there is a reference to 'hostmaster' in
db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt does this need to be replaced with any
different configuration?

3.) How do I go about giving my Web Hosts the name servers they asked
for? ( My networking knowledge is very limited, and I'm more of a
developer so I'm struggling a bit with this )

I'd be very grateful for any help with this, as I think configuration
is nearly there.

Cheers
Alun