Is godaddy wrong in disallowing using my domain as an NS server for itself?

D. Stussy spam at bde-arc.ampr.org
Sun Apr 20 04:03:38 UTC 2008

"Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote in message
news:fudprc$1kh9$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> > No, they are not wrong.  You are.  Although it has become popular
practice
> > to assign an address to a domain name so that it can respond like a
host,
> > there really isn't any RFC that suggests the practice.  Host names exist
> > within domains and name servers have host names.  (Name servers of this
type
> > are what "glue" records are about).  Now, I shall admit that what you're
> > doing isn't exactly forbidden either, but it's not how things are done.
>
> I should note that my own servers (ns.gushi.org and ns2.gushi.org are
> authoritative for gushi.org, and I am through GoDaddy.
>
> Are you sure you've set up the proper host records?

OK, but those are hostnames within your domain.  What the OP wanted to do
would be the equivalent of:

example.com.    IN    NS    example.com.
                         IN    A      192.0.2.1        ;Also entered as glue
at the parent servers.

...And expect THAT to work.  For you that would be the same as declaring:

gushi.org.    IN    NS    gushi.org.   ;etc.....